The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Assn. offers these safety tips for recreational off-highway vehicles, utility task vehicles and side-by-sides that dealers could pass along to their customers:
• Always wear a helmet and other protective gear, use the seat belts, and keep all parts of your body inside the ROV.
• Never drive on paved roads, except to cross when done safely and permitted by law. ROVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
• Drive only in designated areas, at a safe speed, and use care when turning and crossing slopes.
• Never drive under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
• Never drive an ROV unless you’re 16 or older or have a driver’s license.
• Never carry more passengers than the ROV is designed for, and never allow a passenger who is too small to sit in a passenger seat to ride in the ROV.
• Read and follow the operator’s manual and warning labels.