The damage from Hurricane Harvey is nearing $30 billion and many businesses, including dealerships, will face tremendous challenges. More than 43% of businesses won’t reopen their doors after a disaster, according to Scott Owens, managing director of BluTinuity LLC, a disaster planning and management consulting company. And, for those that open, 29% will fail within 2 years.
Don’t become another failed business statistic. Develop a disaster recovery plan to increase your dealership’s chances of surviving a disaster, large or small. Experts say disaster recovery plans should answer these questions:
1. What is most important to my dealership?
2. What are my risks?
3. What kind of data backup do I have?
4. How will I communicate with my employees, customers and others?
5. How will I conduct business while we recover?
6. Does my plan work?
Here are additional resources from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Ready.gov website:
- Print, share, or order FREE emergency preparedness publications
- Download the FEMA app for disaster resources, weather alerts, and safety tips
- Sign up for monthly preparedness text messages: Text PREPARE to 43362 (4FEMA) to receive monthly preparedness tips. (msg/data rates apply)
A final question: When should you start your plan? The answer: Today.