According to a story in CIO magazine, the author offered this further explanation: “…over time, we tend to overlook the warts of our employees. He suggested that if a new manager came in to take over the group, he or she would easily find 10% of the organization that should be upgraded.”
If you’re not ready to take on that drastic approach, here are 6 tips from the article to build a better team:
1. Encourage conflicting points of view.
2. Hire people who are better than you.
3. Make sure your team has complementary skills.
4. Don’t let your groups operate in “silos.”
5. Know your organization isn’t as strong as you think.
6. Adopt a “no jerks” policy.
Read more about how to rethink how you interact with your employees and how to improve how they interact with each other.