Editor's note: Tim Berman of Big Red's Equpiment serves on Rural Lifestyle Dealer's Editorial Advisory Board. The dealership was also named a Best in Class recipient in the 2016 Dealership of the Year program.
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Nearly 14,000 votes were cast for 222 nominees during the nominations phase of the 2016 Independent We Stand Independent Small Business of the Year or Indie Award. For a sixth year, the national small business movement, has empowered Americans to honor the local businesses that make their communities unique. The release of these quarterfinalists precedes Small Business Saturday on Nov. 26, encouraging holiday shoppers to support these businesses, over big boxes and national chains.
Semifinalist voting begins Nov. 21 at IndieBizAward.com and runs through Dec. 11. The winner of “The Indie” will be announced Dec. 14.
The 2016 quarterfinalists in alphabetical order are:
- Afterwords Books, a bookshop in Edwardsville, Ill.
- Anonymous Lacquer, a nail polish company in Newport News Va.
- Artsy Fartsy an art gallery in Carson City, Nev.
- Big Red's Equipment, a lawnmower and tractor store in Grandbury, TX.
- BodyworksBall, a wellness company in Brick, N.J.
- Bonlife Coffee, a coffee roaster in Cleveland, Tenn.
- Children's World, a uniform supply company in Sarasota, Fla.
- Collage, a gift shop in York, Pa.
- Continental Earthworks, a forestry and wildland fire mitigation company in Avon, Colo.
- Cornerstone Shop & Gallery, a lifestyle store in Lake Geneva, Wis.
- From My Shelf Books & Gifts, a new and used bookshop in Wellsboro, Pa.
- Fuzzy Goat, a yarn shop in Thomasville, Ga.
- Gardiner Food Co-op & Cafe, a food co-op and café in Gardiner, ME.
- Hipp Modern Builder's Supply, a hardware store in Mountain View, Ark.
- Hungry Hound Beer Grain Treats, a dog treat company in Conklin, N.Y.
- Life's Memories & More, a scrapbook store in Palmer, Mass.
- Luxe Fiber Designs, a fiber mill in Stone Lake, Wis.
- Lyons Lumber & Hardware, a hardware Store in Frankfort, Ky.
- Miss Ellie's Delights, LLC, a bakery in Norfolk, Va.
- Mower Man Lawn Service, a landscaping company in McKinney, TX.
- Roe Brothers, Inc., a hardware store in Florida, N.Y.
- Surviving Sisters' Boutique, a clothing boutique in Hyde Park, N.Y.
- The Bookshelf, a bookshop in Thomasville, Ga.
- The Cross Eyed Owl Gift Shop, a gift shop in Valatie, N.Y.
- The Enrichery, a supplemental education company in Houston, TX.
The winner of the 2016 Indie Award will receive a prize package valued at $10,000, which includes:
- $5,000 grand prize
- $1,000 STIHL equipment certificate: STIHL products are sold exclusively through local, independent servicing dealers and support more than 9,000 STIHL dealers in communities nationwide.
- “Small Business Web Starter Package” from independent web design firm – Meridian Group
- Three days/two nights stay at an independent beach resort in Virginia Beach, Va. (valued at $1,000)
- Plaque to display at winner’s business
- Public relations and social media recognition
- Quarter and Semifinalists will receive a Premium Membership from Independent We Stand
For more information on “The Indie” or to vote for your favorite small business, visit www.IndieBizAward.com.
About Independent We Stand
Independent We Stand is a movement of independent business owners across the country to inform their communities about the importance of “Buying Local” and how these efforts bolster their local economy. This movement supports all local and national causes committed to boosting local economic development projects. The Independent We Stand movement is co-sponsored by STIHL Inc. and FCA US LLC. Associate sponsors include PPG Pittsburgh Paints, Do it Best Corp. and Tire Pros.