If you have a small business, it's essential to keep up with the latest trends in technology, marketing, customer service and other areas that affect your business. Each business is unique, so every trend doesn't necessarily impact you equally. However, all major trends do influence your customers' expectations, so it's good to be up to date.
Here are some of the most significant trends that will impact small businesses in 2020 and beyond.
1. Customers prefer businesses that are green and socially responsible.
Customers are increasingly looking to patronize businesses that follow sustainable, green and socially responsible practices. Some of the ways you can demonstrate your commitment in these areas include:
- Use local products as much as possible. For example, restaurants and food-based businesses can source foods from local farms.
- Minimize packaging. Stores should encourage customers to use their own bags. Use recyclable materials for packaging.
- Use green cleaning products.
- Patronize green vendors and services.
2. Customer reviews will be more important than ever.
Online reviews are not a new trend, but they are becoming more crucial all the time. Customers trust reviews over ads or any other content businesses create themselves. The best way to get positive reviews is to provide great products and customer service. Beyond that, it helps to nudge your customers and gently remind them to leave reviews — whether you do this in person or via email or social media.
3. Traditional businesses are learning to leverage e-commerce.
When you think of e-commerce, you probably think of Amazon and other online retailers. The fact is, however, that many brick-and-mortar businesses are learning to profit from the e-commerce revolution. This can be a way to expand your business without the need for more physical space.
4. Businesses will use mobile marketing in several creative ways.
Mobile is one trend that will surely grow in 2020 and well into the future. Small businesses can take advantage of the popularity of mobile in a number of ways. For example:
- Use geo-targeting to provide targeted ads to customers who are close to your business.
- Create an app for your business. You can then send out promotions and the latest news to everyone who has the app.
- Leverage SMS or text message marketing to stay in touch with customers. With permission, you can send texts with your latest offers.
- Accept mobile payments. Many customers appreciate the convenience of being able to pay via mobile using platforms such as Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Visa Checkout and others.
5. Stories and livestream will dominate social media.
If you haven't been using Facebook or Instagram stories and livestream video, you're missing a couple of the major social media trends of the last few years. On sites such as Facebook, the main challenge is getting seen by your audience.
Rather than simply posting on your news feed, share stories on Facebook and Instagram. Livestreaming on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube is a powerful tactic for more visibility and engagement. The best strategy is to check in frequently and provide the latest news so you consistently touch base with your customers.